TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player goes topless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topicmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player goes topless Reply with quote

> Although not the complete screw-by-screw disassembly that we're accustomed to, here's your first
chance to get a glimpse inside Toshiba's new HD-A1 HD-DVD player and check out the magic
circuitry delivering all that 1080p goodness. First off, it seems to be very well built. The HD-A1
also has 1 gig of DDR2700 and the ...read more
miglaugh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, that player is little more than a computer wrapped around an ATA drive. The one they use is the NEC HR-1100A, which is supposed to go for about $500 all by itself. Seeing the player on amazon for $499 must mean that they are getting a real good deal on the drive.

First things first though, must have an HDTV before any attention is payed to this crap. Just thought the pricing was interesting enough to comment on.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miglaugh wrote:
hmmm, that player is little more than a computer wrapped around an ATA drive. The one they use is the NEC HR-1100A, which is supposed to go for about $500 all by itself. Seeing the player on amazon for $499 must mean that they are getting a real good deal on the drive.

I heard estimates around $300 in parts for the HD-1A (MSRP is $500).

miglaugh wrote:
First things first though, must have an HDTV before any attention is payed to this crap. Just thought the pricing was interesting enough to comment on.

Yeah, I'm still using a 26" Toshiba CRT (1996). I don't plan on getting a new TV anytime soon. Too pricey and there's not enough HD content out there to make me think about switching yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: