TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Windows XP dual-boot solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topicmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Apple releases Windows XP dual-boot solution Reply with quote

Following the onmac.net project's early attempts at getting Windows XP to boot on Intel Macs,
Apple has announced Boot Camp , its own fully supported solution to the problem. Booting Windows on
Intel Macs isn't entirely straightforward, as the machines use Intel's Extensible Firmware
Interface instead of a BIOS, which ...read more
miglaugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I was expecting there to be some friction there for at least a while. They must've had this idea from the beginning.

I can already see an ad campaign about this. "Keep windows for the stuff that needs windows (games), and use OSX for everything else."

I just want to see what the intel powermacs will be capable of when they finally get released. They better have good options for gfx or only the mac fanatics will buy them. In contrast the current powermacs "only" allow upto a 7800 GT. So QUAD cores of power5 goodness and they match it with a 7800GT? atleast there's no CPU bottleneck i guess... haha. Thats better than the X1600 they used to use, but still. They throw the quaddro card into the ring, why not a top of the line gaming card as well? Price obviously isn't a hinderance.

If they wait for the intel CORE chips, and even the R600, before they ship intel powermacs, I'd seriously consider getting one.

By the way, if they use pci express for the gfx bus, whats to say you couldn't upgrade using a "PC" card? Think they'll try to make it so you can only use thier hardware? I guess then that you'd need different drivers for OSX. That might be the problem.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very smart move on Apple's part IMHO, and I suspect this has long been in their plans.

I will be waiting for Merom/Conroe, but that won't be long. First time In a long time that I am getting excited about an upgrade! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: