PlayStation 5 officially launches Holiday 2020 - TechAmok
PlayStation 5 officially launches Holiday 2020 - [gaming]
04:36 PM EDT - Oct,08 2019 - post a comment
Sony Interactive Entertainment has officially announced PS5 will be launching in late 2020
, during the holidays season. This is the first time Sony has officially announced such a precise release window for its next-gen console. While everyone guessed so, this is also officially the first time Sony confirmed their next-gen console is indeed titled "PlayStation 5". The blog post furthermore mentions how the PS5 controller will be using two new innovations. The first one is using haptic feedback instead of rumble as it's been the case till now. The second innovation will be "adaptive triggers", to make the L2 and R2 buttons programmable by developers. This will allow devs to change the resistance of the triggers depending on the in-game action they correspond to, or depending on which situation the player is currently in. Sony confirms in the blog post some game studios already received early versions of the PS5 controller for development purposes.
In a newly published Wired article
, Sony shared more details on the platform with a specific focus on its new controller:
- PlayStation 5 supports ray-tracing. This is not a software-level fix. "There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware," system architect Mark Cerny said, "which I believe is the statement that people were looking for."
- Physical games will use 100 gigabyte optical discs, which are inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.
- Game installation is mandatory, but a bit different than game installation on PlayStation 4. Installation and removal is a more configurable process. "Rather than treating games like a big block of data, we're allowing finer-grained access to the data," Cerny said. For example, you may be able to install just a game's multiplayer campaign, and leave the single-player campaign for later. Or install the whole thing and delete the single-player campaign when you have finished.
- The user interface has been completely revamped. "Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up," Cerny said. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them-and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."
- The PlayStation 5 controller looks like the DualShock 4, but has a little hole in it, which Cerny said will be discussed at a later time. One of its new features is the "adaptive triggers," which offer varying levels of resistance, and can make shooting a bow feel authentic in that the tension increases as you pull the arrow back, or make shooting a machine gun feel different from shooting a shotgun. It also has haptic feedback "far more capable" than the rumble motors of current controllers, with "highly programmable" voice-coil actuators in the left and right grips of the controller.
- Sony demonstrated the controller features with demos of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission and Gran Turismo Sport. Here are Wired's impressions:
- Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - "I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct-and surprisingly immersive-tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumb sticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation."
- Gran Turismo Sport - "Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of Gran Turismo Sport simply didn't use it."
- The PlayStation 5 controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging and has a larger-capacity battery. While a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, it will still be a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller "with batteries in it."
- A number of studios already have PlayStation 5 development kits, and the controller prototypes began rolling out more recently.
- Shadow of the Colossus developer Bluepoint Games is working on a PlayStation 5 title. "We're working on a big one right now," said Bluepoint Games president Marco Thrush. "I'll let you figure out the rest." He added, "The SSD has me really excited. You don't need to do gameplay hacks anymore to artificially slow players down-lock them behind doors, anything like that. Back in the cartridge days, games used to load instantly; we're kind of going back to what consoles used to be."
While PlayStation 5 is still more than a year away, Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan said in a PlayStation Blog post that there are still "plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima."
Short overview of recent news articles
Teenage Bounty Hunters - Official Trailer (Aug,02 2020 )|
Watch 15-Year-Old's Short Film 'Numb' (Aug,02 2020 )
//HEX Released (Aug,02 2020 )
Microsoft won't open its physical offices until early 2021 (Aug,01 2020 )
Microsoft reportedly in talks to buy TikTok (Aug,01 2020 )
NASA launches Perseverance rover on mission to Mars (Aug,01 2020 )
Intel Overhauls its Corporate Identity (Jul,30 2020 )
Google Offers New Free Backup Options for iOS and Android (Jul,30 2020 )
Qualcomm Quick Charge 5 can Fully Charge Your Phone in Under 15 (Jul,30 2020 )
Intel Core i9-10850K Officialy Clocked At 5.2GHz (Jul,28 2020 )
Samsung's Galaxy Watch 3 Explored (Jul,28 2020 )
NVIDIA Releases Hotfix Driver Version 451.85 (Jul,27 2020 )
Windows 10's latest update bug is breaking internet (Jul,26 2020 )
Newest Gorilla Glass Protects Against Both Drops and Scratches (Jul,24 2020 )
Samsung Money Launches, Adds Exclusive Discounts (Jul,24 2020 )
Avatar Sequels Delayed, New Release Dates Revealed (Jul,24 2020 )
LG's Premium Velvet Launching in US for $600 (Jul,21 2020 )
10 modern layouts in 1 line of CSS (Jul,21 2020 )
Windows 10X Delayed to 2021, Loses Win32 Support (Jul,20 2020 )
Microsoft Cloud PC is Coming in Spring 2021 (Jul,20 2020 )
Samsung Galaxy Buds Live In-Ear 'Bean' Earbuds Leak On Video (Jul,20 2020 )
Gamer Girl - Official Teaser Trailer (2020) (Jul,19 2020 )
Why do Casio calculators get this wrong? (Jul,17 2020 )
This is The Deepest Hole on Earth. What's At The Bottom? (Jul,17 2020 )
Facebook Messenger Adds Screen Sharing (Jul,17 2020 )
Get Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War for Free (Jul,17 2020 )
Intel Core i9-10850K Priced at $449 (Jul,17 2020 )
AMD Releases Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.7.2 Beta (Jul,15 2020 )
Intel is finally retiring its 9th Gen Core-X Skylake-X series (Jul,14 2020 )
MS is removing the ability to fetch files from a PC using OneDrive (Jul,14 2020 )
Mozilla temporarily shuts down Firefox Send (Jul,14 2020 )
What It's Like To Play Games On The Samsung Odyssey G9 Monitor (Jul,12 2020 )
THE BOYS Season 2 Trailer 2 (2020) (Jul,12 2020 )
Devolverland Expo released for free on Steam (Jul,12 2020 )
Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ is 10% Faster (Jul,10 2020 )
This Footage Of Apollo 16 Upscaled To 4K 60 FPS Is Like Being There (Jul,10 2020 )
Death To All Plays DEATH's "Overactive Imagination" (Jul,10 2020 )
NVIDIA Bundling Death Stranding With RTX Graphics Cards (Jul,09 2020 )
Apple is releasing the iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and tvOS 14 betas today (Jul,09 2020 )
NVIDIA GeForce 451.67 WHQL driver (Jul,09 2020 )
Xiaomi Mi Band 5 leak suggests you may be able to buy it next week (Jul,09 2020 )
Next Version of 5G Standard Finalized (Jul,09 2020 )
New Video Compression Standard Uses Half the Data (Jul,09 2020 )
Time To Cool Off with Mr Bean - Classic Mr Bean (Jul,09 2020 )
20 FUNNY FAILS IN SPORTS (Jul,07 2020 )
Microsoft releases urgent Windows update (Jul,07 2020 )
Google announces Gmail on iPadOS now supports Split View (Jul,06 2020 )
Atari VCS Console Finally Set To Release in Fall 2020 (Jul,06 2020 )
An American Pickle - Official Trailer (Jul,05 2020 )
Top 10 Most Disliked YouTube Videos 2016 - 2020 (Jul,05 2020 )
>> News Archive <<