TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GeForce 7950 GX2 pictured

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topicmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: GeForce 7950 GX2 pictured Reply with quote

> HKEPC has snagged a picture of NVIDIA's upcoming GeForce 7950 GX2 retail Quad SLI graphics
card. They also posted some more detailed specifications . The 7950 GX2 is apparently 8.6"
long, compared to the OEM-only 7900 GX2's gargantuan 13.2" length. Considering that NVIDIA's
current top-of-the-line GeForce 79...read more
miglaugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait a sec, I've been a little confused about these cards for a while. They are just 2 regular cards stuck together and using the same PCI-e slot right? or are they 2 cards with 2 gpus each stuck together, meaning 4 gpus and ram are fighting for bandwitch on one slot?
lhay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a card with 2 GPUs which plugs into 1 PCIE slot and has a SLI conector. You can connect annother identical card to that SLI and have 4 GPUs in 2 PCIE slots.

...and have one freaking fast graphics card Shocked
miglaugh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I guess when they say Quad SLI graphics card they are misleading. They should call it an SLI graphics card, because it is afterall; SLI on one graphics card. Maybe they could say QUAD SLI ready or something. Marketing semantics are fun Rolling Eyes
servif2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Day,

I have a question regarding Nvidia new cards...Whats the point in spending around 500 bucks if they arent DirectX 10 native?..Please, correct me if I am wrong but I think its a mad decision to buy this cards because you will need to buy a DX10 native one a few months later... Any comments?

Thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

servif2002 wrote:
I have a question regarding Nvidia new cards...Whats the point in spending around 500 bucks if they arent DirectX 10 native?..Please, correct me if I am wrong but I think its a mad decision to buy this cards because you will need to buy a DX10 native one a few months later... Any comments?Thanks

I guess it depends if you're a gamer or not. $500 invested into video card = immediate boost in all games, higher quality graphics, and so on.
lhay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably correct myself. Now when looking at the picture (i havent looked at it before cause i'm not interested in this purely marketing product) i see that it hasn't got the SLI connectors, but it's a all-in-one product sporting 4 GPUs, taking up 2 Spaces but using 1 PCIE slot.

And yeah servif2002, spending 500$ now on this now could really be foolish as the DX10 will be, from what i can tell, noticeably different from previous gen cards since the leap from DX9 to DX10 is advertised as the biggest one from the DirectX itself.
servif2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lhay wrote:
I should probably correct myself. Now when looking at the picture (i havent looked at it before cause i'm not interested in this purely marketing product) i see that it hasn't got the SLI connectors, but it's a all-in-one product sporting 4 GPUs, taking up 2 Spaces but using 1 PCIE slot.

And yeah servif2002, spending 500$ now on this now could really be foolish as the DX10 will be, from what i can tell, noticeably different from previous gen cards since the leap from DX9 to DX10 is advertised as the biggest one from the DirectX itself.

I know that hardcore gamers will without doubt buy both cards..but, I am a hardcore gamer but my hard earned money on a full daily work must be logical destined to my pleasure..So my comment was "logically thinking". And yes, you are right..from what I have read, DX10 will be a complete leap from older DX versions and I have even read that even though Microsoft denies it, there will be compatibility problems with that older versions.
I want to upgrade my system know (PIV 3.2 Mhz 2 GB RAM and 6800 GT Nvidia card). So my comments were from my point of view...With AM2 or even Conroe near release date it would be mad to buy an actual CPU..And the same for Video Card. With DX10 so near...it is also illogical to buy now a new video card. Indeed, with my current specs I can play all games I have with very good settings except Oblivion...

In overall I am a little dissapointed with this announcement... This Nvidia card looks really good..but I was really expecting DX10 native support. As I read in a post above, it has a great amount of marketing strategy. Thanks...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With AM2 or even Conroe near release date it would be mad to buy an actual CPU..And the same for Video Card. With DX10 so near...it is also illogical to buy now a new video card

I suggest you keep your old graphics card for now, wait a few months. Then you end up with a superior DX10 card and a physics card Smile ... and Conroe maybe ...

There's no point to buying a video card now unless you really, really have to....I still have 6800GT too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: