TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Bans P2P Traffic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topicmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: University Bans P2P Traffic Reply with quote

UConn (University of Connecticut) Information Technology Services says it's going to in effect ban
all p2p file sharing programs , except DC++. "The current restrictions on these programs
allow them to work, but limit their ability to consume network bandwidth and restrict their network
speed," says the Daily Ca...read more
miglaugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! oh how terrible. Rolling Eyes

I should've gone to UCONN. My college shut down everything on thier network (in 2002 no less). No P2P, No IRC, No Gaming (intranet or internet). Only http traffic was allowed through. All traffic capped at 20 KB/sec to boot. It was horrible.

Thank god ISPs aren't doing that crap yet. I can get 1MB/sec transfer on good days, not to mention only stuff I WANT blocked is. Smile
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miglaugh wrote:
All traffic capped at 20 KB/sec to boot. It was horrible.

Wow that's pretty limited Sad

miglaugh wrote:
Thank god ISPs aren't doing that crap yet. I can get 1MB/sec transfer on good days, not to mention only stuff I WANT blocked is. Smile

1MB/sec or 1Mbit/sec ? Smile

I pay $180 dollars a month for 1024/256 DSL. Still damn expensive here. I could get cheaper ADSL, but with an aggregation of 1:50...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: