TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video of WinXP Booting from Gigabyte I-RAM Card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Video of WinXP Booting from Gigabyte I-RAM Card Reply with quote

Here's a video of a computer rebooting with the Gigabyte I-Ram card. This is a PCI card that runs up to 4 DDR DIMMs with an onboard battery to keep the contents saved for up to 16 hours while the PC is powered off.

http://www.fazed.org/video/embed/?id=95
lorcro2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 hours is the time the drive will retain its content if the computer is entirely unplugged from the wall socket. The computer can be off for an unlimited amount of time as long as the power cord is connected since the iRam can get maintenance power off the PCI bus even if the computer itself is shut off.

Solid review of it at Anandtech and another at techreport.com.
miglaugh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whether or not this has any real world appeal, seeing windows boot in a few seconds gave me chills.

What would be nice is if/when they make one for the PCI-e bus and give it a few more slots and upto 2GB per stick. 32GB of ultrafast storage would be sublime for a windows partition, a swap partition, and plenty of space for apps and a few(probably 1) games. Definately would want a live backup solution to a raid array or something though, and ofcoarse some kind of APC.

What if when you lost power and you went to the APC if some logic recognized it, and automatically backed up everything to your designated disk array, then when you came back up from the power failure it automatically loaded everything back the way it was...

now I'm dreaming.

Not like that's anymore outrageous than spending 10Gs on a quad sli rig right? Might as well make it 12 or 13Gs and get the ultrafast storage option to boot (pun intended).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: