TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8800GTX problem and upgrade question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crashezz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: 8800GTX problem and upgrade question Reply with quote

Hi,

My first post on here but i have been reading on here for some time, good site.

I noticed there was a hardware forum and wondered if i could get some help, basically i bought an XFX 8800 GTX the other day and its all installed fine but performance is not what i expected, my current PC is an AMD 4800 X2, gigabyte K8NF-9 mobo, 2GB of pc3200, 2x160GB sata HDD as raid 0, onboard sound. The card i have just upgraded from was an XFX 7950GT, im not expecting a majore increase from the video cards but im literally getting about 5FPS difference.

I have looked up on nvidia's site and they suggest one thing my be my PSU, i did have to buy a new one a few weeks ago (previous one blew) which is a 700W one but a cheapy one, and i have no idea if its 30A like they suggest for the 8800GTX (i dont understand the voltages on the side of the PSU), it does only have 1 PCI-E power connector attached to the PSU, the 8800 needs 2 so i am using an adapter (2 x molex - 1 PCI-E) which i found out afterwards that they are not really suitable, and that if the card is not getting sufficient power they automatically "downgrade" the clock speeds for stability. I do plan on getting a new PSU on Friday from my local shop, its a "700W Storm Modular JN-700-A12C" it also has 2 PCI-E power connectors coming directly from the unit, which from reviews should be fine for my setup.

Does anyone know if this will help my performance issues? A mate of mine reckons its my CPU holding it back, this upgrade was actually part of a bigger upgrade but because of the cost i couldnt order all at once.

Which leads me to my other question, with the rest of the upgrade i plan on getting either an AMD 6000+ X2 or an FX62 dual core the price difference is fairly minimal and i was wondering if you guys know which is the better of the 2.

Thanks for any replies and i hope all that makes sense. Very Happy
eland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 8800GTS requires a minimum 400w psu with 26amps on the 12v rail. Even though a Puma II has 28amps on the 12v rail, I think that a PSU upgrade will be a neccessity for you if you decide to go that route. You probably wouldn't have to upgrade your PSU with an 8600GTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: