TechAmok Forum Index TechAmok
Independent Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Disk Size 137GB max?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exterminator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Hard Disk Size 137GB max? Reply with quote

I need to install another hard disk on my old PC. I intend to get a hard disk size of 250GB. How do i know if my MB can support the hard disk?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that is going to be asked more often as people start buying larger drives. I'm sure that some of you that have already purchased 160GB or bigger hard drives have already experienced this problem.

>>Your drive only reports 127-137 GBytes even though it is larger.

To support drives over 137 GBytes, your computer and operating system must support 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA).

Quote:
To reference Seagate website as their solution is one of the bext explained

First confirm your motherboard BIOS supports 48-bit LBA addressing (drives larger than 137 GB). A BIOS upgrade may be required.

Now each manufacturer has a utility that should resolve this problem at bios level i.e. Seagate use DiscWizard and Maxtor use Maxtor Big Drive Enabler to enable 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA) in the OS.

Windows XP - Before performing any troubleshooting with large capacity drives in Windows XP, confirm that you have Service Pack 1 or higher. Without this service pack it is unsafe to operate a large capacity ATA drive in Windows XP.

Windows 2000 - Before performing any troubleshooting with large capacity drives in Windows 2000, confirm that you have Service Pack 3 or higher. Without this service pack it is unsafe to operate a large capacity ATA drive in Windows 2000. Once the service pack as been applied you will need to update the operating system to enable large LBA. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 305098 for details.

Windows ME/98 - At this time Windows Me/98 does not natively support 137GB drives. However, there are some 3rd party utilities that will allow you to see the full capacity of the drive once the operating system has been installed (no support for installing to a full size partition).

Below you will find solutions for overcoming this capacity limitation with the advantages and disadvantages for each method.

- 3rd Party Controller Cards
Using a 3rd party controller card will allow you to overcome the 137 GB limit by providing 48-bit support at the BIOS level and by providing drivers with 48-bit support. This is arguably the safest method for utilizing your drives full capacity:

Advantages:
Card provides 48-bit support at the BIOS level
Card comes with 48-bit support drivers
Card is plug-and-play compatible

Disadvantages:
Card must be purchased
An additional PCI slot is required
Software Driver Updates (800 Series Intel Chipsets Only)

The Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) adds 48-bit LBA support for the 800 series Intel chipsets. Intel also provides information on how to identify your chipset.

Quote:

If your system's old boot drive is less than 137GB and uses a drive overlay program (DDO) to overcome a previous BIOS capacity limitation (such as Disk Manager or DiscWizard and identifiable as a blue banner box before the operating system loads), then the Intel Application Accelerator is incompatible with your system. If you have this legacy configuration, the Ultra ATA host adapter card is the only solution for Windows 98SE. If you install the Intel Application Accelerator on this type of system, loss of data will occur. If you are not sure if your system uses a DDO, contact us.

Advantages:
Will provide support for the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB
No charge

Disadvantages:
May be incompatible with some versions of drive overlays that could cause the system not to boot

- Software Driver Updates (Non-Intel Chipsets)

At this time, there are no software driver updates available.

FDISK
FDISK shows the normal capacity without wrapping (137GB translated using 1048 vs 1000) however since there is an extra digit it may appear to the user that it is showing 13 GB rather than 131GB.

Windows 95 / DOS There is no 137 GB support through standard options
jeniferthomas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this information. I am facing the same problem and was looking for it from so long. Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TechAmok Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: